Freshwater Aquaculture & Farm Ponds
Aquaculture is the culture of aquatic animals or plants. It involves many of the same skills and activities common to agriculture, including animal husbandry and marketing--aquaculture can be thought of as underwater farming. It has become a major component of agriculture in many southern states, comprising nearly $1 billion nationally in sales. More...
- Aquatic Weed Management
Controlling weeds and other aquatic plants.
- Farm Ponds
Start-up information, construction, fertilization, recirculation, and pond management.
- Fish Production
General production information, and detailed information about baitfish, catfish, tilapia, and ornamental species.
- Pond & Lakefront Revegetation
Aquascaping, revegetation, and plant growers and sellers.
- Recreational & Youth Fishing
Pond management, fee fishing, fishing licenses, Fishing for Success, and ideas for 4-H projects.
State & Federal Agencies
- The Aquaculture Information Center--USDA
- Aquaculture Outlook--USDA
- Fisheries Market News--NOAA Fisheries, Office of Science & Technology
- Commercial Fisheries Statistics--NOAA Fisheries, Office of Science & Technology
- Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Aquaculture (FDACS)
- NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service
Other University Sites
- Aquaculture: Potential for Small Scale Farmers in California--University of California, Small Farm Center
- Aquaculture Research Station--Louisiana University
- Southern Regional Aquaculture Center--Mississippi State University
- Southern Regional Aquaculture Center Publications--Mississippi State University
- Aquaculture Environmental Best Management Practices--Aquaculture Research Station, Louisiana University
- Getting Started in Aquaculture--Oklahoma State University
- Ohio Center for Aquaculture Research and Development--Ohio State University
Organization & Associations
- American Fisheries Society
- American Fisheries Society: Southern Division
- American Tilapia Association
- Catfish Farmers of America
- Catfish Institute
- Florida Tropical Fish Farms Association
- Global Aquaculture Alliance
- World Aquaculture Society